All Things Parks & Recreation in Independence!!!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE Us on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
What's Up in the Parks?!?
The Parks Department has been busy buttoning everything up for the winter. The Aquatic Center, Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex, and RV Campground has been winterized and water shut off. The final round of mowing is complete for the season, fallen branches have been picked up, and garbage cans will soon be brought in for the winter. We are scheduling a time to move some Red Oak Trees into some parks. Many outdoor projects have been accomplished, including not not limited to; removing the old backstop at 5th Ward Park, leveling and seeding to get ready for the placement of a new backstop, an new backstop has been added to 1st Ward Park, minor remodeling and painting at the Baseball/ Softball Complex Concessions Stand. We are also working on adding shelving and another cage at River'sEDGE. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get as many projects done before the heavy snow falls!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 8am- 4pm
Sunday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-2606 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center. If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
REMINDER: Gym Usage increases this time of year with basketball programs, practices and games. Thank you in advance for your cooperation & understanding.
Monday- Thursday 3:30-8pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
Advertise YOUR business where the community PLAYS...
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4'x8' sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (2'x3')
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
- $50- IPRD Activities Brochure Advertisement (1/4" page) (850-1000 copies)
Form is available at the Falcon Civic Center or email your request to email@example.com
IPRD Basketball Offered for... Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd Boys and Girls and 3rd/ 4th Grade Boys
- Great News!!!... we have a coach to instruct Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd graders interested in basketball!!! Coach Cassie Hartsell & her assistants will be the instructors for the following Kindergarten- 2nd grade Basketball Opportunities: Kindergarten 1-day Camp will be held on Saturday, November 9th from 1:30-3:30pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. The cost is $15 per child and we ask that all those interested register by November 8th at the Falcon Civic Center, so we have an idea of the number of participants to expect. 1st & 2nd Grade Basketball Clinic will run November 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th (Instruction Days) & December 2nd (Game Day). Due to the large number of participants, we have divided the group and will now meet in the Falcon Civic Center Gym on the same days at the following times: 1st Graders ONLY- Mondays (11/4- 12/2) from 5-6pm for instruction/ 1st & 2nd Graders TOGETHER- Same Mondays from 6-6:30pm for open gym/ 2nd Graders ONLY- Mondays (11/4- 12-2) from 6:30-7:30pm. This 1st & 2nd Grade Program has already begun, we are no longer accepting registrations for this program.
- The IPRD is offering youth basketball for boys currently in 3rd or 4th grade. Registered players have all been divided into teams of combined 3rd & 4th graders, assigned coaches, shirts ordered, coaches meeting complete. Coaches had through Thursday, 11/7 at 12noon to contact their players about their 1st practice. If you have not been contacted by your child's coach, please contact the IPRD @319-334-6711 and we will pass the coaches contact information on to you. We have 5 teams playing in this league. Teams have been scheduled to play six weeks (Saturday Mornings from 11/16- 12/21) of 5-on-5 games.
- Please Note: Girls 3rd- 6th Grade Basketball is handled through Independence Girls Club Basketball & Boys 5th- 6th grade Basketball is run through the Independence Boys Club Basketball. Information concerning Independence Youth Club Basketball may be obtained by calling the Independence High School Girls & Boys Basketball Coaches respectfully or you may Like them on Facebook @ Indee Youth Basketball & @ Independence Youth Girls Basketball.
Parks & Rec... Quick Notes...
- The Independence Bark Park located at 1305 5th Avenue NE, Independence has recently added a concrete sidewalk to the pavillions in the large dog area!! Purchase your pet's Bark Park Tags at the Falcon Civic Center during normal hours. Cost is $15 for the remainder of this year or $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations (Cash or check for the amount only) for 2020. For your convenience $3.00 day passes are available for purchase at the Park (cash only). Thank you for your cooperation to help make the Indee Bark Park the best it can be!!
- River'sEDGE has seen many improvements over the summer and fall including a new leak-proof roof, an additional cage to bring our total to 6 cages available for rent, and ProBatter (pitching simulator). We are currently working on adding a Pitching Only Cage... we will keep you updated!! We have 13 teams registered for our Thursday Night Bags League which begins on Thursday, November 7th at 6pm. Independence Mustang Baseball Coach Lizarraga is available for lessons, please contact River'sEDGE and they can put you in touch with him. We are OPEN everyday but Fridays this month... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- "Just for Kids" Holiday Store- Join Us at the Falcon Civic Center on Saturday, 12/14/19 between 9am- 12noon for our 22nd Annual "Just for Kids" Holiday Store. This special event is a day for children of ALL AGES to come out and finish up their holiday shopping for family & friends. Crafters will be on hand to sell small items for between $ .50- $5.00 to the children. Volunteers will be on hand to help the day run smoothly. Gifts will be wrapped at the "store" and ready for the children to take home. Thanks to a wonderful group of very generous individuals, we will have baked goods to enjoy throughout the day (while they last). A holiday craft station will be set-up, a photo booth will be decorated for you to take your own holiday pictures in and Santa & Mrs. Calus will be here to visit. Volunteers & Donations of wrapping supplies are needed!! Contact Angie @ 319-334-6711 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Join Us in this true expression of holiday spirit.
- Youth Basketball: Great News... we have a coach to instruct Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd graders interested in basketball!!! Coach Cassie Hartsell & her assistants will be the instructors for the following Kindergarten- 2nd grade Basketball Opportunities: Kindergarten 1-day Camp will be held on Saturday, November 9th from 1:30-3:30pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. The cost is $15 per child and we ask that all those interested register by November 6th at the Falcon Civic Center. 1st & 2nd Grade Basketball Clinic will run November 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th (Instruction Days) & December 2nd (Game Day). Participants will meet on Mondays from 6:30-7:30pm w/ and optional open gym from 7:30-8pm for those who want to stick around and shoot. The cost is $25 per child and interested participants need to be registered by October 30th at the Falcon Civic Center. The IPRD is offering youth basketball for boys currently in 3rd or 4th grade. Players will be divided into teams of combined 3rd & 4th graders. Teams will be scheduled to play 5-on-5 games. The registration deadline for this program is Monday, October 28th at the Falcon Civic Center. Volunteer Coaches are needed to coach the boys in this league. If interested, please contact 319-334-6711. Please Note: Girls 3rd- 6th Grade Basketball is handled through Independence Girls Club Basketball & Boys 5th- 6th grade Basketball is run through the Independence Boys Club Basketball. Information concerning Independence Youth Club Basketball may be obtained by calling the Independence High School Girls & Boys Basketball Coaches respectfully or you may Like them on Facebook @ Indee Youth Basketball & @ Independence Youth Girls Basketball.
- Memberships to the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE are available for purchase. Cost information is available by clicking on the column at the left of this page or feel free to call the Falcon Civic Center @ 319-334-6711 or River'sEDGE at 319-332-1525.
- Fitness Opportunities... ROCFIT, TaeKwonDo, Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: ALL participants MUST sign in at the front desk at Rive'rsEDGE prior to each and every class attended.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter