INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
2021 IPRD Activity Guide available by clicking on IPRD ACTIVITIES GUIDE... Thanks to Carly Wayne @ C23 Graphic Design for helping us with the new look!!
Spectators at high school, youth or adult recreation events has removed the limitations on the number of spectators per participant. All participants must wear a mask (participants may remove their mask while participating in the activity), groups/ individuals must maintain 6ft of social distance, wash hands often and use hand sanitizer. Please stay home if you or someone in your household is sick.
The governor's limited mask mandate remains in place.
Per Independence City Council action on November 23rd, 2020: PATRON POLICIES- Masks are required at all city owned buildings. Individuals entering a city facility who do not have a face mask will be provided one by staff or personnel at the building. The individual must put on the face mask before being granted entrance into the facility. A sanitation station is available at the entrance of the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE with the provided masks. There will be no charge for the use of city provided face masks. Masks may be removed by any patron of River'sEDGE or the Falcon Civic Center once they are participating in physical exercise. The patron must put the face covering back on when they are no longer participating in physical exercise. If an individual has a disability that prevents them from wearing a face mask or face shield, the individual should contact the City Manager to inquire about reasonable accommodations. An individual who refuses to wear a face mask or face shield, will be denied entrance to the facility. A face cover is not a substitute for covering coughs, cleaning hands, or containing germs through physical distancing or by staying home when sick. Patrons who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, including but not limited to a cough, shortness of breath, a fever, or new loss of taste or smell, are prohibited from entering any City facility until they have compiled with public health isolation requirements.
AS ALWAYS, we will continue to encourage in all IPRD facilities... 1) If you are sick or have someone sick in your household, please stay home. 2) Wash your hands often & hand sanitizer will be available for public use. 3) Maintain 6ft of social distance and wear a mask
FALCON CIVIC CENTER: Lowest membership rates in Buchanan County: ONE YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines, hand washing, hand sanitizer, and safety precautions in place. For High School Students following hybrid models or online learning, the Falcon Civic Center weight room is open and fairly empty during the day if students would like to come in to get their PE and Strength & Conditioning done :) See pricing above.
River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to pick up balls, shut off and unplug the orange cord on HitTrax, and shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course!
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found online. Thank you.
PLEASE READ... For the most UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office directly at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information constantly changes from original publications. The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has many projects in the works including: remodel/ update of the Baseball/ Softball Complex womens restroom and concessions stand, adding of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, water bottle fill station added to the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a kids zone, and transformation of the current game room into a much needed cardio workout room, Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard and continue to work to get many projects done!! Pictures posted on Facebook throughout very stages of completion. Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 8am- 4pm
Sunday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will be happy to return your call.
Monday- Thursday 3:30-9pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, 24HR access, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... Lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, Kids Zone, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... Always evolving and changing to give you the best indoor practice facility for baseball, softball, bags, and golf available close to home!!! We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead @ 319-332-1525 to reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better... Champions are made in the off-season!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- Per the Governor's Proclamation... New Class Format, Like Us on Facebook for more information as it become available. Offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5.00 drop-in per student per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Covid precautions are in place for this class. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Masks are required when entering, walking around and leaving the building. Participants may remove masks while participating in physical activity. Maintain social distance, wash hands often, and stay home when sick or when someone in your household is sick.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes... Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus will include some cardio (not always on the bench) & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls, works with the class and moves at each individual's pace, so everyone is successful. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711. Masks are required when entering, walking around and leaving the building. Participants may remove masks while participating in physical activity. Maintain social distance, wash hands often, and stay home when sick or when someone in your household is sick.
- River'sEDGE Thursday Bags League... RE is hosting a Bags League on Thursday Nights to run January 7th- February 11th from 6-9pm at River'sEDGE. Men, Women, Coed, all combos of teams are welcome to play. This league will feature flexible scheduling, adult beverages, concessions, football & basketball on the big screens and a relaxed and fun atmosphere. The cost is $20 per team of 2 players. asks are required when entering, walking around and leaving the building. Participants may remove masks while participating in physical activity, eating and drinking. Maintain social distance, wash hands often, and stay home when sick or when someone in your household is sick.
- ROCFIT- Per the Governor's Proclamation, Classes are postponed thru December 10th...
Classes began on Monday, December 14th (This session is FULL and not accepting any additional participants at this time) and will run Monday- Thursday at 5-6am for 6-weeks at River'sEDGE. Come ready to sweat. Hand Sanitizing Station and will be available. Cost is $125 for 4 times per week or $75 for 2 times per week. Contact: Instructor Tiffany @ 319-404-5453. Masks are required when entering, walking around and leaving the building. Participants may remove masks while participating in physical activity. Maintain social distance, wash hands often, and stay home when sick or when someone in your household is sick.
- IPRD 3rd & 4th GRADE BOYS BASKETBALL... Practices and Games are once again underway. Games will be played on the 5 Saturdays in January beginning at 9am. This season will play games on Saturday Mornings through January 30th at the Falcon Civic Center. Weekly schedules will be posted on Facebook and are also available by calling 319-334-6711.
- Indoor Soccer for 4 & 5-yr-olds... This indoor soccer program includes very basic instruction of soccer through a variety of learning activities. This program will meet on 3 consecutive Thursdays- January 14th, 21st & 28th from 5:15-6pm at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. Registration will be accepted at the FCC until 20 participants are registered. This program is full, we will start a waiting list in case we have anyone drop out. If you are a high school student who is looking for Silver Cord Hours or are just interested in helping, please contact Angie @ 319-334-6711.
- Kickball for 1st & 2nd Graders... Kickball is a game having rules similar to baseball but played with a large ball that is rolled toward home plate instead of pitched and the ball is kicked instead of batted. Games are played every meeting for FUN competition in the gym. This is not an instructional program. Not sure how to play?... watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEQJ-RX2sU Cost is $20- Space is Limited (20 participant max limit)- Register at the Falcon Civic Center prior to the first day of the program. Payment is due at registration. This program is for 1st & 2nd graders, meets on Thursdays- 2/4, 2/11, 2/18, 2/25 at 4:15-5pm at the FCC.
- Wiffleball for 4-6 year olds... We offer this program to boys and girls 4-6 years of age. This coed program is designed specifically for children to have fun while learning the game of wiffleball (indoor t-ball). Due to the size of the gym, there is a maximum participant limit of 20 kids. Registration will be accepted at the Falcon Civic Center until the 1st day of the program and will close once the maximum number of participants is met. Volunteer Helpers are NEEDED for this program. GREAT High School Silver Cord Opportunity!! If interested, please contact 319-334-6711 or mark "Yes, I will help coach" on your child's registration form.
- 2nd- 4th Grade DODGEBALL... Meets Tuesdays, March 2, 9, 16 from 4:30-5pm at River'sEDGE. Cost is $15 per child. This program is played in the large room at River'sEDGE. This is not an instructional program, it is an opportunity for kids in 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade to get together and have fun playing dodgeball. Participants need to wear tennis shoes and comfortable clothes. Register at River'sEDGE by the 1st day of the program
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter