All Things Parks & Recreation in Independence!!!
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
A HUGE Thank You to the Independence Jr/Sr High School Students, Teachers, Administration, and Community Volunteers who came out to the Oakwood Cemetery during Homecoming Week and cleaned & straightened gravestones, raked leaves, pulled weeds, and picked up sticks. We greatly appreciate it!! Well Done!!!
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE Us on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
September- October 31st
Monday- Thursday 5am- 8pm
Friday 5am- 7pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Monday- Wednesday-Thursday 3:30-8pm
As of October 1st- Adding Saturday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, classes and clinics offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
Advertise YOUR business where the community PLAYS...
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4'x8' sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (2'x3')
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River'sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River'sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
- $50- IPRD Activities Brochure Advertisement (1/4" page) (850-1000 copies)
Form is available at the Falcon Civic Center or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNUAL FALL CRAFT & VENDOR SHOW
The Annual Fall & Craft Show will be held on Saturday, October 19th from 9am- 3pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Admission is FREE to the public and Everyone is welcome to attend!! LIMITED BOOTH SPACE IS STILL AVAILABLE!! The fee for a booth at this Craft & Vendor Show is $30 which includes an 8'x8' booth space with one long 8' table and 2 folding chairs. One additional table if needed costs $7.50. PLEASE NOTE: No one is put in the show until payment w/ the signed agreement has been received and receipted. Temporary Sales Tax Numbers are not available, Crafters/ Vendors must have a permanent sales tax number through the Iowa Department of Revenue.
IPRD at a GLANCE ~~~~
- The Independence Bark Park located at 1305 5th Avenue NE, Independence is now under surveillance... Purchase your pet's Bark Park Tags at the Falcon Civic Center during normal hours. Cost is $25 per dog with proof of vaccinations (Cash or check for the amount only). $3.00 day passes are available for purchase at the Park (cash only). Thank you for your cooperation to help make the Indee Bark Park the best it can be!!
- River'sEDGE has seen many improvements over the summer including a new leak-proof roof, an additional cage to bring our total to 6 cages available for rent, and ProBatter (pitching simulator). We are OPEN... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Youth Flag Football: Teams have been divided, coaches assigned, shirts ordered, players contacted, fields painted, practices have begun and games start this week!!! Kindergarten/ 1st Grade open their season with games at 6pm this Thursday, September 19th at the Complex. 2nd/3rd & 4th- 6th Grade Teams will open their season on Saturday, September 21st at 8:30am at the Complex. On behalf of the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, we would like to take this opportunity to THANK all of those who volunteered their time and energy to coach the kids in this program. It really is a lot of fun and we enjoy offering it!!! Have FUN boys & girls!!!
- We are offering an Adult Flag Football League for all of those who want to get out and play football!!! We currently have 4 teams registered and are looking to add at least 2 more teams. Contact 319-334-6711 if interested. We would like to start playing soon, so let us know if you want to join us!!
- Memberships to the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE are available for purchase. Cost information is available by clicking on the column at the left of this page or feel free to call the Falcon Civic Center @ 319-334-6711 or River'sEDGE at 319-332-1525.
- Fitness Opportunities... ROCFIT, TaeKwonDo, Aerobics & Wednesday Wake-Up Workout Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: ALL participants MUST sign in at the front desk at Rive'rsEDGE prior to each and every class attended.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter