Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
PLEASE READ... For the most UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office directly at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information constantly changes from original publications. The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement RENEWAL
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner RENEWAL at River’sEDGE
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo RENEWAL on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- 2022 IPRD Activities Book Advertisement (1/4" page)
Forms available here, via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 7pm
Friday 5am- 6pm
Saturday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will be happy to return your call.
July Staffed Hours:
Monday- Friday 3:30-8pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
River'sEDGE typically closes (unstaffed) from mid-July to Labor Day
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on memberships, 24HR access available for members, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, room rental availability, team practices, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Independence Aquatic Center Hours
Monday & Tuesday 12pm- 6pm Open Swim
Wednesday- Friday 12pm- 6pm Open Swim
Family Swim 6:30-8pm: $3 admission
Saturday & Sunday 12pm- 6pm Open Swim
Admission: $4 through the door
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
- The Falcon Civic Center & River'sEDGE will be CLOSED on Saturday, July 3rd & Sunday, July 4th in observance of the 4th of July Holiday.
- The Independence Aquatic Center will be closed on July 3rd, so our staff may celebrate the 4th of July festivities in our community. The Aquatic Center will be OPEN on Sunday, July 4th from 12-6pm/ Admission is $4 through the door.
- Lifeguard Reunion Swim- We are inviting ALL past Independence Lifeguards and their families to spend part of your July 4th Holiday enjoying the Independence Aquatic Center- FREE of CHARGE!!! We would love to see you 😊
- Annual Fall Craft & Vendor Show will be held on Saturday, October 16th from 9am- 3pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Admission is FREE to the public and everyone is welcome to attend!! Information will first be sent out to the past crafters/ vendors in August and then open to the public to fill booths in late August/ early September.
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo (Open to 6-99 yr olds) & Little Dragons TaeKwon-Do (Open to 4-6 yr olds)- Like Us on Facebook. Offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Little Dragons meets Mondays & Thursdays @ 4:45-5:15pm @ RE. Regular TKD Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm with bag work from 4:45-5:15pm on those days as well. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5 drop-in per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Covid precautions are in place for this class. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes... Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus includes cardio & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has been working hard on a variety of different projects and have many projects in the future plans. Including but not limited to: remodel of the women's restroom and concessions stand at the Baseball/ Softball Complex, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, water bottle fill station added to the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a kids zone, and transformation of the current game room into a much needed cardio workout room, and additional select rise and squat racks are being added to the weight room. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard and continue to work to get many projects done!! Pictures posted on Facebook through various stages of completion. Stay tuned... more to come!!!