Independence Parks & Rec. Dept.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
Tue Nov. 14 - Sat Mar. 31
Mon Feb. 5 - Thu May 31
Mon Feb. 19 - Thu Mar. 29
Registration is NOW being accepted for all upcoming IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors & Majors)... Register at the Falcon Civic Center!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
(November 1st- March 31st, 2018)
Monday- Thursday 5:00am- 9:00pm
Friday 5:00am- 8:00pm
Saturday 8:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
River'sEDGE Sport & Fitness HOURS
Monday- Friday 3:30- 9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am- 4:00pm
Sunday 12:00pm- 5:00pm
Click on NOTIFY ME on the www.independenceia.org Home Page and follow the steps to receive our Parks & Recreation REC Connect Monthly Newsletter sent directly to you.
HitTrax is at River'sEDGE & it is AWESOME!!!!
HitTrax is the world's only baseball/ softball simulator!!
At this point, we are still looking to add a variety of accessories to the HitTrax System and because of that we are still accepting donations. Forms are available at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE.
Visit: www.hittraxbaseball.com Call Bob at 319-334-6711 for details.
HitTrax may be reserved for $12.00 per hour + $1.00 admission per person. Call River'sEDGE @ 319-332-1525 to reserve the cage with system!!
River'sEDGE Baseball Pre-Season Practices:
Every Monday- until we are able to move outdoors
11U River'sEDGE Baseball- 5-6pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
10U River'sEDGE Baseball- 6-7pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
12U River'sEDGE Baseball- 7-8pm @ River'sEDGE ($1.00 per time)
13U River'sEDGE Baseball- 8-9pm @ River'sEDGE ($3.00 per time)
DATE CHANGE!! All 10U, 11U, 12U & 13U practices are moved from Monday, February 19th to Tuesday, February 20th @ 11U 5-6pm, 10U 6-7pm, 12U & 13U 7-8:30pm !!
IPRD information below...
- The 2018 Independence Parks & Recreation Activity Guide is complete and available to the public. Hard copies are available at the Falcon Civic Center & River'sEDGE. Click on the 2018 IPRD Activity Guide at the left of this page for the online version. CORRECTION: The Halloween Boo Bash will be on Friday, October 26th this year at the Falcon Civic Center.
- We HIRE Lifeguards for the 2018 Aquatic Season at the Independence Aquatic Center. MUST be at least 15 years of age by the end of the class. Lifeguard Certification Classes offered at THE W at Wartburg College in Waverly http://www.the-w.org/cert.aspx and at UNI Wellness and Recreation Center on the UNI Campus in Cedar Falls https://recreation.uni.edu/lifeguard
- For up to date information about what is going on now, coming soon, being offered today, modified, made-up, cancelled, etc... please LIKE US on FACEBOOK @ https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec
- ABC (Abs, Butt, Core) Class & HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Class: Open to all fitness levels (please consult your physician before beginning any new exercise regimen). Both classes are taught by Janet Buls. The ABC Class will focus on strength training and resistance work on your Abs, Butt & Core. The HIIT Class will be 20 minutes of cardio in short bursts of high intensity work, short cool down. Classes meet January 8th- February 28th on M&W from ABC: 5:45-6:15pm and HIIT: 6:20-6:40pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Cost: $4 drop-in per time.
- ROCFIT: FREE TRIAL CLASS will be offered on Thursday, February 15th @ 4:30am & 5:30pm at River'sEDGE. The next 6 week session will begin on Monday, February 19th. Classes are held Monday- Thursday at 4:30am or 5:30am at River'sEDGE for 6 weeks total. The cost is $150 per person for the entire 6-week session. The price will decrease by $25 each week the class is offered. The Instructor for this class, would like to inform anyone interested that the class fees may be paid on a payment plan. ROCFIT is a program designed to train an individual of any age, male or female, regardless of athletic ability transforming them into a high level athlete. Tiffany Thoma is our coach and can be reached at 319-404-5453 to answer any questions you may have.
- BASEBALL/ SOFTBALL SPRING TRAINING: IPRD is offering Spring Training Sessions for all Independence Boys & Girls currently in 2nd or 3rd grades. Stations will be set-up to be used to improve basic baseball/ softball technique including live hitting, soft toss, and tee work, throwing, catching , and fielding in the cages. Meets Thursdays on 3/15, 3/22 & 3/29 from 3:45-4:30pm (Boys Baseball) and 4:45-5:30pm (Girls Softball). Cost is $25 per individual with max class limits of 15 for baseball and 15 for softball. Register at River'sEDGE. Participants should dress comfortably with tennis shoes, bring their glove, a helmet if they have one and a bat if they have one they would like to use.
- We are currently accepting registrations for all IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors and Majors) at the Falcon Civic Center and the registration deadline is April 16th, 2018.
- REGISTRATION FOR PROGRAMS, SEASON PASSES, GROUPS LESSONS & SWIM TEAM AT THE INDEPENDENCE AQUATIC CENTER BEGINS ON MONDAY, APRIL 2nd @ THE FALCON CIVIC CENTER.
- AEROBICS: Classes are held on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays at 5:45am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym and the cost will be $24 per month or $3 drop-in per time. The Instructor for this class is Janet Buls. Register at the Falcon Civic Center.
- Main's Peak Performance Tae Kwon Do is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6:00pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for 3 children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $4.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled.
- River'sEDGE Friday Night Bags Tournament Schedule: *December 1st (4 teams) *December 15th (9 teams) *December 29th (16 teams) (2nd Annual Youth Christmas Break Bags Tourney) *January 12th (12 teams) (HitTrax Fundraiser) *January 26th (26 teams) (Independence Archery Fundraiser) *February 9th *February 23rd (Independence Fire Department Fundraiser) *March 9th (River'sEDGE Travel Teams Fundraiser) *March 23rd (Final Large Pay-Out Tournament) Details available at River'sEDGE and on Facebook... call 319-332-1525 for more information.