INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
PLEASE READ... For the most UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office directly at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information constantly changes from original publications. The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $125 Little League Team Sponsor- Due 4/15/21
- $75- Logo on River'sEDGE Team Travel Banner (3'x5')- Due 3/15/21
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement RENEWAL
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner RENEWAL at River’sEDGE
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo RENEWAL on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- 2022 IPRD Activities Book Advertisement (1/4" page)
Forms available here, via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 8am- 4pm
Sunday 12noon- 4pm
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will be happy to return your call.
Monday- Thursday 3:30-9pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, 24HR access, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, team practices, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL & PRIORITY to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed yearly) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
- Register for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues at the Falcon Civic Center before 4/15/2021!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo (Open to 6-99 yr olds) & Little Dragons TaeKwon-Do (Open to 4-6 yr olds)- Like Us on Facebook. Offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Little Dragons meets Mondays & Thursdays @ 4:45-5:15pm @ RE. Regular TKD Classes will meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 5-6pm with bag work from 4:45-5:15pm on those days as well. Our Instructor is Master Tim Main. Cost is $25 per student per month (No family discounts) or $5 drop-in per time. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Register and pay at River'sEDGE. Covid precautions are in place for this class. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended.
- Cross Training Strength/ Cardio Combo Classes... Classes are offered on M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center. Focus includes cardio & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls. Cost is $30 per month of $4 drop-in until the max class limit of 11 is reached. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program.
- FREE Trial Fitness Classes offered... New Fitness Instructor, Angi Mendenhall. Angi is using these classes to gauge interest in what YOU would like to see offered!! Classes will start out as cardio-kickboxing, but may change based on participant's feedback. Classes will last approximately 1hr/ Monday, 3/1- 9am @ River'sEDGE, Wednesday, 3/3- 6pm @ RE, Monday, 3/8- 9am @ RE, and Wednesday, 3/10- 6pm @ RE.
- ROCFIT... Classes February 1st and will run Monday- Thursday at 5-6am for 6-weeks thru March 11th at River'sEDGE. Cost is $125 for 4 times per week or $75 for 2 times per week. Contact: Instructor Tiffany @ 319-404-5453.
- Wiffleball for 4-6 year olds... This Class is FULL. Offered to boys and girls 4-6 years of age. Class meets on Thursday, March 4th, 11th & 18th from 5:15-6pm @ the Falcon Civic Center Gym. GREAT High School Silver Cord Opportunity!! If interested, please contact 319-334-6711 or mark "Yes, I will help coach" on your child's registration form.
- 2nd- 4th Grade DODGEBALL... Meets Tuesdays, March 2, 9, 16 from 4:30-5pm at River'sEDGE. Cost is $15 per child. This is not an instructional program, just a chance to play. Register at River'sEDGE by the 1st day of the program
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter
Per Independence City Council action on November 23rd, 2020 and as of 2/7/2021 is still in effect: PATRON POLICIES- Masks are required at all city owned buildings. Individuals entering a city facility who do not have a face mask will be provided one by staff or personnel at the building. The individual must put on the face mask before being granted entrance into the facility. A sanitation station is available at the entrance of the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE with the provided masks. There will be no charge for the use of city provided face masks. Masks may be removed by any patron of River'sEDGE or the Falcon Civic Center once they are participating in physical exercise/ activity. The patron must put the face covering back on when they are no longer participating in physical exercise/ activity. If an individual has a disability that prevents them from wearing a face mask or face shield, the individual should contact the City Manager to inquire about reasonable accommodations. An individual who refuses to wear a face mask or face shield, will be denied entrance to the facility. A face cover is not a substitute for covering coughs, cleaning hands, or containing germs through physical distancing or by staying home when sick. Patrons who are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, including but not limited to a cough, shortness of breath, a fever, or new loss of taste or smell, are prohibited from entering any City facility until they have compiled with public health isolation requirements.
We continue to encourage the following in all IPRD facilities... 1) If you are sick or have someone sick in your household, please stay home. 2) Wash your hands often & hand sanitizer will be available for public use. 3) Maintain 6ft of social distance and wear a mask
FALCON CIVIC CENTER: Lowest membership rates in Buchanan County: ONE YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines, hand washing, hand sanitizer, and safety precautions in place.
River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to pick up balls, shut off and unplug the orange cord on HitTrax, and shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course!
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found online. Thank you.
WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS...
The Parks & Recreation Department has been working hard on a variety of different projects and have many projects in the future plans. Including but not limited to: remodel of the women's restroom and concessions stand at the Baseball/ Softball Complex, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, installing a playground at the Complex, 24hr key fob access at the Falcon Civic Center, water bottle fill station added to the Falcon Civic Center, modifications to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, remodel of the racquetball court at the Falcon Civic Center into a kids zone, and transformation of the current game room into a much needed cardio workout room. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard and continue to work to get many projects done!! Pictures posted on Facebook through various stages of completion. Stay tuned... more to come!!!