INDEPENDENCE PARKS & REC...
Our Mission Statement
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
UPDATED COVID-19 INFORMATION for IPRD
Independence Aquatic Center NOW OPEN (As of June 17th) per the Governor’s Proclamation.
** As of June 27th: Normal hours for everyone: M-F 12-8pm & S-S 12-6pm with a max capacity of 200 people through the door. Once the max capacity of 200 is reached, we will let people in on a 1-out-1-in basis. Please purchase season passes at the Independence Aquatic Center. Family Season Passes: City Limit Residents $105/ Buchanan County Residents $125/ Non-Buchanan County Residents $150. Single Season Passes: City Limit Residents $65/ Buchanan County Residents $75/ Non-Buchanan County Residents $100. Daily Admission: Buchanan County Residents $4.00/ Non-Buchanan County Residents $7.00
** If you would like details on GROUP SWIM LESSONS, please call 319-334-6711. If you are interested in Private Swim Lessons, you will need to pick up the Private Instructor’s List at the Falcon Civic Center or the Independence Aquatic Center and contact the Instructor of your choice to set up those lessons. The Instructors set their own price for private lessons + at $15 pool usage fee payable to the Aquatic Center at your 1st private lesson.
** In order to maintain social distancing for our staff, we will not be renting the Party Shelter to the public in 2020. We will be using that area as the Lifeguard Breakroom.
** Use the Independence Aquatic Center at your own risk. Please stay home if you or any member of your household is sick. Remember to wash your hands frequently. Maintain social distance.
** Thank you for your anticipated patience and understanding as we work through all of the changes and safety recommendations we have had to encounter during this time.
Governor Reynold’s Full Proclamation may be found at the link below in its entirety: https://governor.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Public%20Health%20Proclamation%20-%202020.05.13.pdf?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
In response to updated recommendations from the CDC, the Governor’s recent announcement and out of an abundance of caution, the City is announcing the following:
- Falcon Civic Center will be extending their current memberships 2 months; for example, if your membership was going to expire in May, it will now expire in July
- Falcon Civic Center: For any new members, we have the lowest rates in Buchanan County: 1 YEAR- Family $175/ Adult $130/ Student $100/ Senior $100// 6 MONTH- Family $100/ Adult $80/ Student $65/ Senior $65// 3 MONTH- Family $65/ Adult $50/ Student $40/ Senior $40 These memberships include weight room, gym, sauna, racquetball, locker room, and gameroom with social distancing guidelines in place
- Falcon Civic Center, to help insure continued safety for our patrons as well as our staff and follow social distancing guidelines; we will limit numbers with social distance... WEIGHT ROOM: 10 max at a time (No towels will be handed out, you may bring your own)/ GYM: 10 max at a time (No games, shooting only)/ RACQUETBALL COURTS: 2 max at a time/ SAUNA: 1 max at a time/ GAMEROOM: 2 max at a time/ FRONT DESK REGISTRATION: 2 max at a time
Please feel free to call ahead (319-334-6711) if you would like to check numbers using the facility before you make the trip in.
- River’sEDGE Members w/ 24 Hour Access... your key fobs have been turned back on. Reminder: If you bring a guest anytime ($3)/ If you bring a member (without a key fob) outside of staffed hours ($1)/ Remember to shut off lights when you are there outside of staffed hours/ If you need help on HitTrax or ProBatter please set a time for a refresher course! Thank you & Stay Safe.
- River’sEDGE- Please call ahead to reserve 319-332-1525/ Only 3 max to a cage/ Must maintain social distance/ Must use own equipment (we will supply balls only)
- All classes and groups are currently at 50% max capacity to help maintain social distance.
- All of our facilities are enforcing and encouraging social distance and to please stay home if you or someone in your household is sick.
Things continue to change and we will adapt as needed. Thank you for your patience & understanding. Please be sure to follow safety guidelines from Public Health and the CDC found on the City’s COVID-19 webpage. Updates will continue via the City’s social media outlets & website. http://independenceia.org/533/Coronavirus
Please Stay Safe
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
The 2020 IPRD Activity Guide is available as a PDF here!!
We hope you enjoy it and find it full of valuable information.
ALWAYS WORKING TO IMPROVE...
The Parks & Recreation Department has been busy working on and planning for various improvement projects including: remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, painting and rearrangement of weight room, replacement of backstops at the 3rd Ward & 5th Ward Parks, addition of a playground at the Complex, additional batting cages have been added to River’sEDGE, 24 hour access key fob system installed at River’sEDGE, 4 permanent bags courts are now painted at River’sEDGE, modifications to add automatic ball feeders to various pitching machines at River’sEDGE, projection televisions have been added to River’sEDGE, a project to move cardio equipment into a remodeled racquetball court is in the beginning stages at the Falcon Civic Center, additional single movement pieces of weight equipment will be added to the weight room at the Falcon Civic Center, interior painting at the Falcon Civic Center, 24-Hour Access at the Falcon Civic Center in the next 12 months, clearing out overgrown trees and brushes in the Community Orchard was complete earlier this fall, trees are being trimmed, branches are being picked up and mowing has begun throughout the parks system. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Monday- Thursday 5am- 7pm
Friday 5am- 6pm
Saturday 12pm- 4pm
We will be CLOSED on Saturday, July 4th in observance of the Independence Day Holiday.
Please call 319-334-6711 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Capacity Limits are in effect, please call ahead if you would like to check numbers.
Monday- Friday 3:30-8pm
Weekend Hours may change due to lack of staffing, please call 319-332-1525 before coming.
Saturday 10am- 4pm
We will be CLOSED on Saturday, July 4th in observance of the Independence Day Holiday.
Please call ahead (319-332-1525) for cage rentals
Must bring own equipment, we will supply balls only. No more than 3 people per cage and must maintain 6 feet of social distance
24-HOUR ACCESS NOW AVAILABLE at River’sEDGE with the purchase of membership!!! Call Lucas @ 319-332-1525 for details.
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Aquatic Center HOURS
Monday- Friday 12-8pm
Saturday & Sunday 12-6pm
Closed July 6-16 (M-TH) from 5:55-6:35pm due to group swim lessons. We will reopen at 6:35-8pm on those days.
Please call 319-334-7464 with questions or to check weather closures.
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2020 IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email or by pick-up at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE. Email your request for a form to email@example.com
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... MANY Options Available & we have the lowest rates around!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1,2,3,4a, 4b, 5a,5b, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!!
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- NO CLASSES OFFERED IN JULY. Typically offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt, Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning- Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter