- Parks & Recreation
Jump into Spring with the IPRD...
OUR MISSION STATEMENT...
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
Falcon Civic Center
Monday- Thursday 6am- 8pm
Friday 6am- 7pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Call 319-334-6711: Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center. 24HR Access to the Falcon Civic Center is available. Patrons with yearly memberships may purchase 24HR access for a 1-time $25 fee. Call us @ 319-334-6711 for details or inquire at the front desk!! We look forward to helping you!!
Monday- Friday 3:30pm-8pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am- 4pm
Please call ahead to check staffing, 24HR access, details about the facility, and rental availability- 319-332-1525.
Our River'sEDGE Manager is currently working split shifts. If he is unavailable, please leave a detailed message and he will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you.
For the most UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department (IPRD), the facilities, buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our Parks & Rec office directly @ 319-334-6711 or FOLLOW US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: Information is constantly changing from many of our original publications. The information on Google may NOT be the most up-to-date information. If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation and current fees. Google does not always update as efficiently as we need them to in order to keep up with all our changes. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department (IPRD) reserves the right to add, remove, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operations we offer due to but not limited to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other foreseen and unforeseen circumstances. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who wants to participate in the parks and recreation programs we offer, has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) (must be completed annually) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2023 River'sEDGE Youth Baseball & Softball Tournament Flyers:
Contact Person: Bob Beatty @ 319-215-5832
For Your Information...
- Falcon Civic Center Membership & Daily Admission Pricing- One Year- Family $215, Adult $155, Student & Senior (60yrs +) $130 (24Hr Access Available to yearly members for a 1-time fee of $25- call 319-334-6711 for details)// 6-Month- Family $150, Adult $115, Student & Senior $90// 3-Month- $90, Adult $75, Student & Senior $60// Daily- Adult $4, Student (12&up) $3 or (Under 12) $2, Senior $3/ Walking in the Gym $ .50 per day// We do accept cash, check (amount only), and credit/debit cards (minimal processing fee charged).
- River'sEDGE Membership Pricing- RE Team Yearly Membership Fees: $150 Single, $175 Duo, $200 Family// RE Non-Team Yearly Membership Fees: $155 Single, $180 Duo, $210 Family// Daily Pricing varies depending on the cages used// 24HR Access Available to yearly members for a 1-time fee of $25- call 319-332-1525 for details.
- Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification, Re-Certification & WSI Classes offered- A complete list of a variety of Lifeguard certification and training classes is available online at iapra.org An information flier is available at the Falcon Civic Center. Classes offered in Iowa City by Kate Connell. Contact Kate via email @ KConnell@iowa-city.org. Classes offered at the University of Northern Iowa, contact Danielle O'Connor @ email@example.com or visit online @ recreation.uni.edu/certifications. Classes offered in North Liberty. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Due to April 1st being on a Saturday and in order for their to be full-time staff available to help with registrations~ SWIMMING REGISTRATION WILL BEGIN ON APRIL 3RD AT THE FALCON CIVIC CENTER
- We have begun accepting registrations for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues!!! Boys and Girls who will be 4 years old on or before April 15th, 2023 and those who will enter Kindergarten in the 2023-24 school year may register for T-BALL COED. Girls who are currently (2022-23 school year) in Kindergarten or 1st Grade may register for GIRLS COACH-PITCH. Boys who are currently (2022-23 school year) in Kindergarten or 1st Grade may register for BOYS COACH-PITCH. All games for T-Ball and Coach-Pitch will be played on Friday evenings at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. Girls who are currently (2022-23 school year) in 2nd or 3rd Grade may register for GIRLS MINORS. Boys who are currently (2022-23 school year) in 2nd or 3rd grade may register for BOYS MINORS. Girls who are currently (2022-23 school year) in 4th, 5th or 6th Grade may register for GIRLS MAJORS. Boys who are currently (2022-23 school year) in 4th, 5th or 6th grade may register for BOYS MAJORS. All Girls Minors and Majors Games are played on Mondays & Wednesdays at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. All Boys Minors and Majors Games are played on Tuesdays & Thursdays at the Independence Baseball/ Softball Complex. REGISTER AT THE FALCON CIVIC CENTER BY THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE OF APRIL 15th.
- SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES WITH THE IPRD
IPRD SPONSORSHIP & ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES- $125 Little League Team Sponsor- team name on each player’s shirts- completed form due by April 15th (available on the city website, Facebook, and at the Falcon Civic Center. $200 Complex Advertisement (Renewal) (wrap on 4’x8’ sign hung on Complex fence), $150 Advertisement Banner @ River’sEDGE (2’x3’) $75 Advertisement Banner (Renewal) @ RE
RIVERWALK PARKS- 18 HOLE DISC GOLF RE-DESIGN & EXPANSION- Looking for sponsors to help cover the cost of signs and concrete tee pads. 2 levels of sponsorships- Hole Sponsor: $250 (logo and name on tee box) Listed Sponsor: $100 (name or business name listed on a sign at the beginning of the course).
Contact Person: Bob Beatty 319-334-6711
CROSS-TRAINING w/ JANET BULS... Classes will be offered M-W-F from 5:45-6:30am at the Falcon Civic Center Gym. Cost is $30 per month or $4 per time. Focus includes cardio & intervals of strength training. All levels of fitness are welcome. Instructor, Janet Buls. Instructor works with the class and moves at each individual's pace, so everyone is successful. Reminder: Please check with your physician before beginning this or any exercise program. Register and pay at the Falcon Civic Center.
Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo (TKD)- Like & Follow on Facebook @ Main's Peak Performance of Independence. Classes are held at 4:45-6pm on Mondays & Thursdays @ River'sEDGE and the cost is $30 per month. Fees are due by the 5th of each month. Register and pay at River'sEDGE.
Birthday Party Rental @ the Falcon Civic Center (Gym and Kitchen) is NOW $125 for a 2 1/2 hour party (includes all set up, tear down, and clean up- done by the renter and within the time of the rental.) Call Judy @ 319-334-6711/ M-F/ between 8am- 4pm to check availability and book your rental.
4-5-6-yrs-olds WIFFLEBALL- FULL This program is open to Boys and Girls 4-6yrs of age. This is a program all about learning how to play wiffleball (indoor t-ball) with skills drills and games in the gym during the winter. Program meets on Thursdays, March 2nd, 9th (canceled due to weather), 16th & 23rd (Makeup date from March 9th cancellation) from 5:15-6pm at the Falcon Civic Center. Volunteer Helpers are needed, please contact Angie @ 319-334-6711. Great Silver Cord Opportunity!!
ROOM RENTAL RATES @ RIVER'SEDGE- $50 minimum daily rental fee for 1 hour, $30 per hour if over 1 hour & $200 maximum daily rental fee. Additional $50 if you would like to set-up the day before actual rental day. Rental Times include all set-up (including caterers and other service staff), tear-down, and clean-up which is required to be done by the renter.
PICKLEBALL- The Falcon Civic Center opens one-side of the gym any daytime during the week for those who want to come in and play pick-up pickleball games with others who like pickleball as much as you or those who just want to try it out. The gym will remain open for walkers and those who still want to shoot hoops on 1/2 of the gym. Please Note: Pickleball will not be available on Holidays or days that school is not in session. Free to Members of the Falcon Civic Center & $3.00 per day for non-members of the Falcon Civic Center.
Independence Bark Park- $3 per dog per day or As of January 2023, the cost for a yearly membership to the Indee Bark Park is $25.00 per dog with proof of vaccination. GREAT ADDITION... The dog agility and playground equipment has been installed at the Indee Bark Park. Dogs and their humans are enjoying it!!
Welcome Char Clinton!!! She is the 2023 RV Campground Host and may be reached for reservation at 319-440-0472.We are happy to have her and she is happy to help you this summer. Our RV Campground will open for the 2023 Camping Season on April 1st.
For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter