Independence Parks & Recreation Department
The Independence Parks and Recreation Department is a team of professionals committed to facilitating the growth and development of recreational opportunities, as well as managing the care and upkeep of park land in the Independence area. Through continued efforts, we will promote and improve our present activities and facilities to enrich the quality of life and pride in our community.
As of March 23, 2020
In response to updated recommendations from the CDC, the Governor’s recent announcement and out of an abundance of caution, the City is announcing the following:
- All Independence Parks & Recreation programs running currently are cancelled until further notice
- All rentals at the Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE are cancelled through March 31, 2020
- The Falcon Civic Center and River’sEDGE will be closed to the public, including members (key fobs as well) through March 31, 2020
- Please use green spaces (avoid large groups and sharing equipment), we are NOT recommending the use of any playground equipment in any of the parks
These closings will be evaluated weekly and we will publicize any changes via websites and social media
City Staff at all locations will be available via the published phone numbers to assist you. Falcon Civic Center 319-334-6711 or 319-334-2606 & River’sEDGE 319-332-1525
Thank you for your patience & understanding. Please be sure to follow safety guideline from Public Health and the CDC found on the City’s COVID-19 webpage. Updates will continue via the City’s social media outlets & website. http://independenceia.org/533/Coronavirus
FOR YOUR INFORMATION... We continue to work towards making the necessary decisions concerning IPRD Summer Ball Leagues, Independence Aquatic Center, Summer Employment Opportunities, River’sEDGE Travel Teams, and Parks & Recreation Facilities. We ask that you continue to be patient, understanding and cooperative as we work to meet the guidelines set forth by the state to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We will keep you posted as adjustments and decisions are made. Thank you & we look forward to seeing you all again.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Home!!!
PLEASE READ... For UP-TO-DATE information regarding the Independence Parks & Recreation Department, our facilities & buildings, programs, leagues, special events, clinics & classes we offer, please contact our office at 319-334-6711 or LIKE US on Facebook. PLEASE NOTE: The Information on Google is NOT up-to-date information. FOR YOUR INFORMATION... If you are going to use Google as your search engine, please make sure you actually click on our links to obtain the most up-to-date information including hours of operation. Google does not accurately post our hours of operation or other valuable information. The Independence Parks & Recreation Department reserves the right to add, modify, postpone, or cancel programs, leagues, classes, special events, and facilities operation we offer due to weather conditions, equipment malfunction, lack of enrollment, and/or other circumstances.
The 2020 IPRD Activity Guide is available as a PDF here!!
We hope you enjoy it and find it full of valuable information.
Improvements... Always Thinking... Ideas Welcome...
The Parks & Recreation Department is currently working on the 2020 Budget as well as 5 & 10 year capital improvement plans. We have been busy working on various improvement projects including: remodel of the Baseball/ Softball Complex concessions stand, addition of a 5th field at the Complex, addition of a playground at the Complex, additional batting cages have been added to River'sEDGE, 24 hour access key fob system installed at River'sEDGE, 4 permanent bags courts are now painted at River'sEDGE, modifications to add automatic ball feeders to various pitching machines is underway at River'sEDGE, projection televisions have been added to River'sEDGE, a project to move cardio equipment into a remodeled racquetball court is in the beginning stages at the Falcon Civic Center, additional single movement pieces of weight equipment will be added to the weight room at the Falcon Civic Center, interior painting at the Falcon Civic Center, 24-Hour Access at the Falcon Civic Center in the next 12 months, clearing out overgrown trees and brushes in the Community Orchard was complete earlier this fall, trees are being trimmed and branches are being picked up throughout the parks system. Thanks to all of the Parks & Rec Staff who have worked hard to get many projects done!! Stay tuned... more to come!!!
Falcon Civic Center HOURS
Due to COVID-19; The Falcon Civic Center is CLOSED until further notice.
Monday- Thursday 5am- 9pm
Friday 5am- 8pm
Saturday 10am- 4pm
Please call 319-334-2606 Monday- Friday between 8am- 4pm to book room rentals at the Falcon Civic Center. If you call outside of those hours, please leave your name and a contact phone number for our secretary, Judy. She will return your call.
Please feel free to call ahead to check gym availability before making the trip into town. Thank you in advance for your cooperation & understanding.
Due to COVID-19; River’sEDGE is CLOSED until further notice.
Monday- Friday 3:30-9pm
Saturday 10am- 5pm
24-HOUR ACCESS NOW AVAILABLE at River’sEDGE with the purchase of membership!!! Call Lucas @ 319-332-1525 for details.
Please call 319-332-1525 for information on membership opportunities, classes, clinics, and lessons offered, rental availability, and/or to reserve cages including HitTRAX & ProBatter!!
Financial Assistance Opportunities...
It is our GOAL to ensure that EVERY child who would like to participate in the Parks & Rec programs we offer has every OPPORTUNITY to do so. If you express a financial need and qualify under the State of Iowa Income Guidelines, you may be eligible for assistance. Please complete and submit the Financial Assistance Form (available at the Falcon Civic Center) along with a copy of your previous year's income tax return to the IPRD Director for approval. Approval takes place Monday- Friday from 8am-3:30pm and will take at least 1 business day to process. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
2020 IPRD Sponsorship Opportunities
- $125- Little League Team Sponsor
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Travel Team Banner
- $300- Complex Advertisement (Wrap on a 4’x8’ sign)
- $100- Complex Advertisement (RENEWAL)
- $150- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (2’x3’)
- $75- Advertisement Banner at River’sEDGE (RENEWAL)
- $75- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track
- $50- Logo on River’sEDGE Walking Track (RENEWAL)
Forms available via email. Email your request for a form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Would you like to become a LIFEGUARD for the Independence Aquatic Center this Summer? LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION CLASSES ACROSS THE STATE ARE CURRENTLY CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19.
- Memberships at the Falcon Civic Center... CURRENTLY CLOSED. MANY Options Available!!! One Year, 6 Month & 3 Month Memberships... Featuring: Weight Room, Sauna, Meeting Rooms, Gym w/ 6 basketball hoops, Locker Rooms, Racquetball Court, Kitchen, Cardio Equipment. Improvements have already begun and there are more to come including 24-Hour Access, Cardio Room, new paint, new flooring, additional weight machines, and some remodeling.
- River'sEDGE... CURRENTLY CLOSED. We have seen MANY improvements over the year including a new leak-proof roof, 3 additional cages to bring our total to 1,2,3,4a, 4b, 5a,5b, & 6 cages available for rent, projection televisions, ProBatter (pitching simulator), and a 24-Hour Access key fob system available for members. We are currently accepting registrations for our Next Session of Thursday Night Bags League which will began Thursday, 3/5 and will continue through 4/9. We have instructors available for private lessons, please call Lucas at 319-332-1525 and he can put you in touch with the right person. We have extended hours- 7 days per week... call ahead (319-332-1525), reserve a cage, and get some cuts in!!! Put the work in and get better!! Champions are made in the off-season!!!
- We are currently accepting applications for SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES with the Independence Parks & Recreation Department. Once the Falcon Civic Center is open, applications are available at the Falcon Civic Center. The City of Independence is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/Disability/Veteran
- Main's Peak Performance TaeKwonDo- CURRENTLY CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19- is offered monthly at River'sEDGE. Classes currently meet on Mondays & Thursdays from 4:45-6pm. Our Instructor is Black Belt, Tim Main. Cost is $30 per month for 1 child, $50 per month for 2 children and $70 per month for children from the same family. The monthly fee is due by the 5th day of each month or a $5.00 fee will be charged per participant per time until the monthly fee has been settled. Reminder: All participants must sign in at the front desk at River'sEDGE prior to each and every class attended. Thank you.
- THURSDAY NIGHT BAGS LEAGUE- Currently CANCELLED thru 3/31/2020 DUE TO COVID-19 Bags League to be held at River'sEDGE on 6 Thursdays (March 5th- April 9th) from 6-9pm at River'sEDGE. Warm-ups begin at 5:30pm & Games begin at 6pm. Bags and Boards are provided by River'sEDGE.
- Every Body BOOT CAMP- CANCELLED due to COVID-19 This class will focus on building muscle while burning calories through a variety of strength & cardio exercises. All ability levels are welcome, we do encourage you to check with your physician before beginning this or any new exercise program. Class will run on Mondays & Wednesdays from 6-6:45pm from March 2- April 1 at the Falcon Civic Center. The cost is $4 drop-in. The Instructor for this class is Janet Buls.
- Aerobics/ Strength & Conditioning- CANCELLED due to COVID-19 Information with pricing about all of these classes is available by calling the IPRD at 319-334-6711. Classes are offered on various mornings & evenings throughout the week at the Falcon Civic Center and River'sEDGE. We are always looking for instructors to teach new and different fitness classes, If you have an idea or suggestion on what you would like to see offered, please contact the IPRD @ 319-334-6711.
- We are currently accepting registrations for IPRD Summer Ball Leagues (T-Ball, Coach-Pitch, Minors & Majors). The FALCON CIVIC CENTER is CURRENTLY CLOSED due to COVID-19. Registration and payment may be sent through the mail until the Falcon Civic Center re-opens. Due to COVID-19, we will make adjustments to registration deadlines. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- Registration for Swimming will be adjusted for COVID-19 and we will keep the public updated here and through social media.
- For up-to-date information concerning the facilities we run, the programs we offer and the classes we provide, please LIKE our FACEBOOK PAGES: https://www.facebook.com/indeeparksandrec/ https://www.facebook.com/riversedgesportfitness/ https://www.facebook.com/independenceaquaticcenter