Approximately 9 years ago, the Independence Parks & Recreation Department launched the Adopt-A-Park program to give individuals, businesses, and groups the credit they deserve for helping keep Independence beautiful. We have recently renamed this program and it is now called Adopt-A-Flowerbed. The Adopt-A-Flowerbed program serves as a way to allow those same people the opportunity to help maintain landscape flowerbeds within the parks system. Currently, the Parks & Recreation Department maintains 40 flowerbeds throughout the city and 7 of those are currently adopted.
Thank you to all of the individuals and groups that have already adopted landscapes and the time and effort you have put forth in helping your community.
- Freeman Park/ W&N side: Lion's Club
- 3rd Ward/ SW corner: Bob & Jenny Beatty Family
- Veteran's Park/ Gazebo: Darrel E. Davis Daycare
- Skate Park & Indee Bark Park/ East Side: Friends of the Dog Park
If you are interested in adopting one of the many landscape flowerbeds available, please contact the Independence Parks & Recreation Department at 319-334-6711.
The Perennial Divide Program
Think About Us in the Spring & Fall, when you may be dividing or changing the landscapes of your home or business... Through this program, the Parks & Recreation Department accepts all types of perennial plants from community members. All varieties of plants are welcome, including perennial flowers, bulbs, ground covers, ornamental grasses and shrubs. NO donation is too small!! The Independence Parks system is vast and this helps with beautification and enhancement of public land through the donation of perennial plants that may otherwise be taken to the compost dump. The Community Greenhouse will serve as the base for this program. Please contact the Director @ 319-334-6711 with any questions.
Donations may be brought to: Independence Parks & Recreation Community Greenhouse
1305 5th Avenue NE
(located the west of the Falcon Civic Center)
Please call 319-334-6711 with any questions
- Drop off plants in the Community Greenhouse anytime
- All plants should be labeled or identified when dropped
- Plants will be potted to grow in the greenhouse or may be planted immediately depending of several conditions
- Each year we will put out a list of the preferred varieties but all perennials will be accepted and we will do our best to use all varieties based on our long term planning
- We also accept donations of all pots. Pots may be dropped off at the Community Greenhouse
The Independence Parks & Recreation Department now has a community greenhouse that will serve as the base for this and many other park programs including: Branching Out, Community Orchard, and Adopt-A-Flowerbed.
The greenhouse is located just west of the Falcon Civic Center and next to the Indee Bark Park. This greenhouse allows the Parks Department the ability to enhance the park system with plantings in both spring and fall. It also gives staff the ability to increase the growing season for trees, perennials, orchard trees and bushes, and community gardens plantings. The goal is to produce plantings each year to aid in the ascetics in the city parks and produce a consistent variety of plantings from seeds, root stock, and saplings. All donations may be dropped off at the greenhouse. If you would like to volunteer, please call the Parks Staff @ 319-334-6711.